If you’re looking for something to serve for dinner tonight, we’ve got just the thing: mac and cheese! A twist on the classic, this baked dish by Ree Drummond is sure to become a fan favorite at your house.
Here’s What You Will Need
- 4 cups dry macaroni noodles
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 pound grated cheese (cheddar or your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional spices: cayenne pepper, paprika, and/or thyme
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil a large pot of water. Make sure to salt the water. Once it has come to a boil, add your macaroni noodles.
- Cook the noodles until they are al dente, about five minutes depending on the brand. They should still be quite firm to ensure they don’t get too soft later. Drain the water.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup salted butter in a large pot on medium-high heat. Once melted, add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and whisk together. Let it cook for five minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add 2 1/2 cups whole milk and 2 teaspoons of dry mustard to the mixture. Stir and cook for another five minutes.
- Once your mixture has thickened, lower the heat to low. Add a small amount, about 1/4 cup, to the small bowl with your egg. Stir constantly so that your egg does not begin to scramble. Keep stirring until the mixture has cooled down.
- Pour your egg mixture into the large pot and combine.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of your grated cheese into the large pot. Stir until all of the cheese has melted, then turn off the heat.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Add more seasonings to taste.
- Pour the drained pasta into the pot. Add less pasta for a creamier Mac and Cheese.
- Get out a 9 x 13 pan or a baking dish and lightly grease it. Pour the entire pot into the pan. Top with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 until golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, serve, and enjoy!
You might also like: The Entire Family Will Gobble Up These Green Chile Cheeseburgers
If You are Looking for More Flavor
- Any type of cheese works, but try adding more than one for extra cheesy goodness.
- Pre-grated cheese works well, but grating your own gives a smoother texture and more cheese flavor.
- Try adding additional spices like cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic, or thyme.
- Before baking, add some bread crumbs or panko to the top for added texture.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.